It is finally soup season in my kitchen! This sweet potato soup is savory and creamy with a hint of warm, aromatic spices. It is surprisingly filling but tastes lovely with a side of fresh toasted bread. Enjoy!
Preparation + Cook time= 65 minutes
Makes 4-5 servings
- 1.5 lbs of sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 3 medium sized carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1″ piece of ginger (shredded)
- 1 stalk of celery (chopped)
- 1 gala apple (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 tsp of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried coriander
- salt and pepper
- juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/2 tsp dried turmeric
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- roasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Heat the 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large pot. Sauté the onions until they are soft and slightly browned. Now add the garlic, ginger, carrots, sweet potatoes, apple, and celery. Cook for about 10 minutes whilst continually stirring the vegetables around.
- Add about 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of pepper, 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of nutmeg, 1/2 tsp of coriander, and one bay leaf to the pot.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Once the liquid is at a boil, turn it down to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook for about 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf from the pot.
- Transfer the soup into a large food processor or blender. You may have to do this in separate batches depending on how large your blender is. Blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Put the soup back into the large pot. Add the lemon juice and stir. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Top your soup with roasted pumpkin seeds and serve with some fresh bread if desired.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, maintain a healthy blood pressure, and reduces inflammation. The high levels of vitamin C and E provide an immunity boost, support eye health, and prevent degenerative damage.
-Carrots are very high in Vitamin A, which protects eye health and vision. They are high in antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, help protect against cancer, improve immunity, boosts skin health, and helps improve brain function.
-Ginger reduces inflammation, improves digestion, and reduces nausea.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com
One thought on “Creamy Sweet Potato Soup”
Yum! Sounds delightful!