This Pad Thai noodle dish is coated in a flavorsome sesame-ginger dressing made from an almond butter base with hints of lime and garlic, plus red chili flakes for a powerful kick. Edamame beans are added to this dish to provide a great source of plant-based protein. This recipe makes about 4 servings. Enjoy!
Ingredients for noodles:
- 8 oz of pad thai noodles (I used 1 whole packet of Lotus Foods black rice noodles)
- 1 Tbsp of sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups of red cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups of shredded or spiralized carrots
- 1/2 cup of green onions, chopped
- 1 cup of edamame beans
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
- sesame seeds for garnish
Ingredients for dressing:
- 1 Tbsp of sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp of honey
- 2 heaping Tbsp of almond butter
- 2 Tbsp of soy sauce
- 1″ piece of ginger, grated
- 2 tsp of red chili flakes (use more or less depending on spice preference)
- 1/4 tsp of minced garlic
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- dash of black pepper
- Cook noodles according to package. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat the 1 Tbsp of sesame oil in a wok. Sauté the red bell pepper, red cabbage, carrots, and green onions for 5-6 minutes on medium-high heat until the veggies become soft and cooked through.
- Add the edamame beans and cilantro and continue to stir the veggies around the wok for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low-medium. Add the noodles and sauce to the wok. Continue stirring the noodles so that everything is evenly combined and heated through.
- Serve the noodles in bowls. Top with chopped cilantro and sesame seeds.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Carrots are very high in Vitamin A, which protects eye health and vision. They are high in antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, help protect against cancer, improve immunity, boosts skin health, and helps improve brain function.
-Edamame beans are high in protein, helps lower cholesterol, regulates blood sugar, and prevents migraines.
-Cabbage boosts the immune system, fights inflammation and arthritis, reduces osteoporosis risk, and promotes a healthy gut.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.healthline.com and http://www.draxe.com