The weather is finally becoming chilly here in California, which motivates me to make lots of soups. This high-protein soup is a vegan alternative to the classic chicken noodle soup. Enjoy!
Preparation + Cook Time: 50 minutes
Makes 8-9 servings
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp of finely chopped oregano
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cups of cooked macaroni (or any kind of noodle)
- salt and pepper
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until they are soft.
- Add the carrots and celery. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes. Now add the parsley, oregano, thyme, and chickpeas. Keep on medium heat for an additional 4-5 minutes and continue to stir the vegetables around in the pot.
- Slowly add the vegetable broth and lemon juice to the pot whilst stirring the veggies. Once all the liquid is added, bring to a boil.
- Once at boiling point, turn the pot down to low and put the lid on. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked noodles to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve up!
Benefits of this recipe:
-Chickpeas help control blood sugar levels, improves digestion because of high fiber content, helps protect against heart disease, is a good source of protein, and contains many beneficial vitamins and minerals such as zinc, folate, phosphorus, and B vitamins.
-Carrots are high in vitamins which are great for your eye sight, skin, and hair.
-Celery helps lower cholesterol, lowers inflammation, treats high blood pressure, protects liver health, and helps digestion.