This recipe is a soul warming soup, full of aromatic spices and bold flavor. This dish includes the Thai flavors of ginger and curry, made with coconut milk to make this soup extra creamy. Enjoy!
Makes about 4 servings
- 1 butternut squash cut into cubes (this equals about 8 cups of cubed squash)
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp of ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp of curry powder
- 1/2 tsp of chili garlic sauce (optional)
- 2 cans of lite coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp of lime juice
- dash of black pepper
- 2 tsp of soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp of chili powder
- optional toppings: chopped green onion and roasted sunflower seeds
- Put the cubes of squash into a large pot and fill with just enough water to cover the squash. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat to low and leave it covered. Simmer until the squash is fully cooked. Drain the water from the pot. Remove the squash into a separate container for now.
- Using the same pot on medium-high heat, sauté the onion in the coconut oil. Once the onion starts to soften, add the garlic, ginger, chili garlic sauce, and curry powder. Continue to sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Now add the cooked butternut squash cubes back into the pot along with the coconut milk, lime juice, a dash of black pepper, soy sauce, cilantro, and chili powder. Bring the soup to a boil. Once it is at a boil, reduce the hear to low, cover the soup with the lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the entire contents of the pot into a food processor or high speed blender and pureé until the soup is completely smooth.
- Return the soup into the pot until you are ready to serve.
- Serve each bowl of soup topped with some chopped green onion and sunflower seeds.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Butternut squash is high in antioxidants, boosts immune system, reduces inflammation, keeps bones healthy, and reduces symptoms of PMS.
-Ginger relieves nausea, treats cold and flu symptoms, aids in digestion, removes excess gas, reduces arthritis pain, detoxifies the body, prevents menstrual cramps, and prevents infection in the body.
One thought on “Thai Coconut-Butternut Squash Soup”
These are all wonderful flavors (well, except the cilantro, I’m one of those!).
LikeLiked by 1 person