This tasty dish consists of a bed of mashed potatoes, topped with lentils and roasted vegetables, and engulfed in a lemony white wine sauce. This meal is wholesome, satisfying, and super nutritious. Enjoy!
Makes about 4 servings
- 1/2 cup of uncooked green lentils
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 10 oz of cremini mushrooms, chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 of a white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup of dry white wine
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp of fresh chopped parsley
- mashed potatoes: use my recipe here
- Cook the lentils according to the package. Set aside once cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place the carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 35 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the mashed potatoes using my Classic Vegan Mashed Potatoes recipe. Set aside until you are ready to serve.
- Now make the white wine sauce. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a medium sized pot on medium/high heat. Sauté the onion until it is soft and starts to get golden on the edges. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Next, add all of the lemon juice, white wine, vegetable broth, and parsley. Bring to a boil. Once boiled, put the lid on, turn the heat down to to low, and simmer for 10 minutes to cook off the wine.
- It is now time to prepare your meal! Put a large scoop of mashed potatoes on a plate or bowl. Top it with a scoop of the roasted vegetables and a scoop of lentils. Finally, top everything with a generous scoop of the white wine sauce.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Lentils can help lower cholesterol, are high in protein, good for digestive health, and beneficial for heart health.
-Mushrooms are a great source of protein, fiber, antioxidants, and high in B vitamins.
-Carrots are very high in Vitamin A, which protects eye health and vision. They are high in antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, help protect against cancer, improve immunity, boosts skin health, and helps improve brain function.
-Potatoes help to reduce inflammation in the body, lower blood pressure, stimulates brain function, prevents formation of kidney stones, relieves high blood pressure, prevents heart diseases, and facilitates digestion.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com
2 thoughts on “Lentils & Roasted Veggies in White Wine Sauce over Mashed Potatoes”
This looks so delicious, and I love that the sauce is delicate, not thick and gloppy!
As a fellow Irishman I sympathise with you that you cant enjoy mash with butter and milk. My daughter had the same problem, so I introduced her to mash with artichoke and olive oil.
LikeLiked by 1 person