This tomato-cabbage soup is simple and light, but still so satisfying. Serve this soup with a side of toasted bread and some white wine. Enjoy!
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 of a head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes (with the juices included)
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 5 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Desired amount of salt and pepper
- In a large pot, sauté the onions in the olive oil. Once they start to soften, add the garlic and zucchini. Continue to sauté the vegetables for 2-3 more minutes.
- Now add the cabbage, tomatoes, parsley, and vegetable broth. Bring the pot to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes to let the cabbage wilt.
- Finally, add the chickpeas, lemon juice, and salt & pepper. Cover again and simmer for an additional 25 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with some more fresh parsley as garnish.
A few of the many benefits of this recipe:
-Chickpeas help control blood sugar levels, improves digestion because of high fiber content, helps protect against heart disease, is a good source of protein, and contains many beneficial vitamins and minerals such as zinc, folate, phosphorus, and B vitamins.
-Cabbage boosts the immune system, fights inflammation and arthritis, reduces osteoporosis risk, and promotes a healthy gut.
-Tomatoes contain cancer-fighting antioxidants, they improve heart health, helps improve vision and eye health, benefits skin health, and protects bone health.
3 thoughts on “Tomato-Cabbage Soup with Chickpeas”
Great post 🙂
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.