You may be wondering- what exactly is tempeh? Since becoming vegan 3 years ago, tempeh has become one of my favorite sources of protein. Not only is it high in protein, but it also has many probiotic benefits that aid in providing good gut health. Tempeh is basically fermented soybeans that originated in Indonesia. When added to a tasty sauce, tempeh really soaks up the flavors of the ingredients and helps become a very satisfying dish. This recipe is a classic mushroom marsala with tempeh added for a twist. I recommend serving this dish over a bed of mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice. Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 8 oz of tempeh, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of marsala cooking wine
- 1 Tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp of corn starch + 1 Tbsp of water
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic. Sauté for several minutes until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add the mushrooms. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Add the tempeh, thyme, parsley, desired amount of salt and pepper, vegetable broth, marsala cooking wine, and tomato paste. Stir to evenly combine.
- Make a corn starch slurry. In a small bowl, mix together 1 Tbsp of corn starch with 1 Tbsp of water. Add this to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute. Once boiled, turn down to low heat. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Your marsala is now ready to serve!
Benefits of this recipe:
-Tempeh is rich in probiotics and antioxidants, lowers cholesterol, boosts bone health, provides muscle-building protein, and balances blood sugar.
-Mushrooms are a great source of protein, fiber, antioxidants, and high in B vitamins.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com
One thought on “Tempeh Mushroom Marsala”
This sounds delightful, and it looks like it would be a really quick and nutritious weeknight supper.