Mashed cauliflower seems to be a huge buzz right now in the food world. It is a great lower calorie and lower carbohydrate version of mashed potatoes, but tastes just as delicious. I wanted to create a twist to this recipe by making a pesto version of this dish. Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings as a side dish
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tsp of minced garlic (if you are sensitive to garlic, reduce the amount)
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil, packed
- 1.5 oz of pine nuts
- 2 tsp of nutritional yeast
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add a dash of salt to the pot. Add the chopped cauliflower into the pot. Cover the pot, bring to a simmer, and cook until the cauliflower is fully cooked.
- Drain the water from the pot and let the cauliflower cool for several minutes.
- Put the cauliflower in a food processor along with the garlic, olive oil, basil, pine nuts, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and desired amount of salt and pepper. Purée until smooth and creamy, but not liquidy.
- Transfer the mashed cauliflower back into the pot and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes to incorporate all of the flavors. Serve warm.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Cauliflower helps lower cancer risk, fights inflammation, decreases risk of heart disease, provides high levels of vitamins and minerals, improves digestion and detoxification, helps balance hormones, and preserves eye health.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com
2 thoughts on “Pesto Mashed Cauliflower”
This looks really delicious! If you say pesto, my family is there!