Mmmm beets and sweet potatoes- two of my favorite vegetables! This carmelized beet and sweet potato salad is hearty and warm with nutty and sweet undertones. This dish is packed with wonderful nutrients that will keep you more than satisfied. Enjoy!
Preparation + Cook Time: 90 minutes
Makes about 7-8 servings
- 2 lbs Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Shallot
- 2 T Coconut Oil
- 2 T Maple Syrup
- 2 t Cinnamon (Divided)
- 1/2 t Nutmeg (Divided)
- 2 lbs Beets
- 1 C Uncooked Farro
- 1/2 C Raw Almonds
- 2 T Olive Oil (Divided)
- 3 C Chopped Kale
- 1/4 t Garlic
- 1/2 t Paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 15 oz Cans of Chickpeas
- Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 T Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1 t Dried Thyme
- 1/2 C Pomegranate Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop the sweet potatoes into small cubes. Dice the shallot.
- In a microwave safe container, melt the coconut oil for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and add maple syrup. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the sweet potatoes and shallots to a large bowl. Pour half of the oil/maple syrup mix and toss. Add 1 t cinnamon, 1/4 t nutmeg, and a dash of salt and pepper to the bowl. Stir until all the sweet potatoes and shallot are evenly covered. Transfer to an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- Peel and chop the beets into small pieces.
- Add the beets to the same bowl. Pour the remaining coconut oil/maple syrup mixture on top of the beets. Top the beets with 1 t cinnamon, 1/4 t nutmeg, and a dash of salt and pepper. Toss until everything is evenly coated. Transfer the beets to a separate aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- Prepare the roasted chickpeas. Drain them from the can and put them on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 T olive oil, 1/2 t paprika, 1/4 t garlic, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Now place all 3 baking pans into the oven. Remove the chickpeas from the oven after 35 minutes. The beets and sweet potatoes need to cook for 40 minutes.
- While the veggies are baking, cook the farro. Put 1 C of farro into a medium pot. Cover with 3 C of water. Bring to a boil. Turn to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Set aside once cooked.
- Prepare the toasted almonds. Chop 1/2 C of almonds into small pieces. Put them in a skillet with a dash of salt and pepper and 1 T of olive oil. Keep stirring to make sure they don’t burn.Toast for 5 mins until golden brown. Set aside.
- Once everything is done cooking, it is time to combine the ingredients into a salad. In a large bowl, add the chopped kale. Squeeze the juice from the 1/2 lemon onto the kale. Massage to evenly coat the kale. Add the sweet potatoes, beets, farro, toasted almonds, rosemary, thyme, and pomegranate seeds. Stir to mix evenly. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Top each plate with roasted chickpeas. Serve warm.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, maintain a healthy blood pressure, and reduces inflammation. The high levels of vitamin C and E provide an immunity boost, support eye health, and prevent degenerative damage.
-Beets are high in antioxidants, contain anti-inflammatory properties, supports brain health, supports digestion, can improve athletic performance, and keeps blood pressure in check.
-Kale is among the most nutrient dense foods on the planet! It is loaded with antioxidants and vitamin C, can help lower cholesterol, and protects eye health. There are also numerous cancer-fighting substances in kale.
-Chickpeas help control blood sugar levels, improves digestion because of high fiber content, helps protect against heart disease, is a good source of protein, and contains many beneficial vitamins and minerals such as zinc, folate, phosphorus, and B vitamins.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.healthline.com and http://www.draxe.com
One thought on “Carmelized Beet & Sweet Potato Farro with Roasted Chickpeas”